Schreiber High School FAQ

Q: What is the start and end time of the academic day?

A: The school day begins at 8:05 am and ends at 3:05 pm. Click here for further information.

Q: What are the arrival and dismissal procedures?

A: Students may walk to school on their own or may be dropped off in the circle in front of the building beginning at 7:30am. Please leave plenty of extra time for traffic, especially on bad weather days. Security guards will be on campus drive to help direct you if needed.

Only the main building entrance is to be used for student entrance and exit during the school day.  Students are expected to enter and exit through the main entrance.  ID cards must be visible  upon entry and worn throughout the day.  Lost or stolen ID cards must be replaced within a day and can be purchased for $5 in Mr. Miller’s office.  Click here for further information.

Occasionally it may be necessary to close school. School closing and delayed opening will be posted on the district webpage and on local media.


In the event that we have a delayed opening, all classes will meet and we will follow the schedules listed under delayed openings. 

Q: Who do I contact if there is a bus related issue? 

A: For transportation issues contact the transportation department at (516) 767-5680. For student issues on the bus, please contact your child’s grade level administrator.

Q: Who do I contact if my child will be late or absent? 

A: All students are expected to be in school on time. Lateness to school is not an excuse for missing class. If a student is late, a “cut” may be assigned for any class(es) missed. Students who receive a cut will be assigned after school detention by their grade level administrator.

If a student needs to be late to school because of a medical appointment or a family emergency, or if a student will be absent for the day a parent must call the attendance office as early as possible on the day of the absence. Parents should call the following offices.


9th Grade (516) 767-5832

10th Grade (516) 767-5834

11th Grade (516) 767-5836

12th Grade (516) 767-5844



Parents may also email the attendance secretary for their child’s grade level.


9th Grade (Mary Balaban) [email protected]      
10th Grade (Kathie Raft) [email protected] 

11th grade (Bonnie Lane) [email protected]

12th Grade (Irene Pond) [email protected]


Students who arrive at school after 11:25 am (period 4) will not be permitted to participate in an after-school activity or sport for that day. Students demonstrating a pattern of excessive absences or tardiness will be subject to a review with their parent and assistant principal. Click here for further information. 


Q: Who do I contact if I need to pick my child up early from school? 

A: If a student must leave school during the school day, they must sign out in their grade level administrator's office. Prior approval is required in the form of a phone call or email from the parent to the student's grade level office. If a student leaves the school grounds without such permission, they will be considered cutting and all classes missed will be recorded as cuts. Signing out during the school day should be for medical or emergency reasons only. All such sign-outs must be kept to a minimum. Parents must call in advance giving permission. Click here for further information.

Q: How does my child notify me if they forget an item they need at home? How do I drop off an item that my child forgot? 

A: If a student forgets an item at home, students can contact their parents directly and the item can be dropped off in their grade level administrator’s office. Students should be notified by their parents that the item will be dropped off. The student can then pick the item up in the grade level office.

Q: Where is the lost and found located?

A: The lost and found is located in the main office.

Q: Where is the visitor’s entrance?

A: All visitors should enter the building through the main entrance. Photo ID is required for building entry.   For parking, please stop at the security booth for assistance and direction.  There are 4 dedicated visitor spots in front of the technology wing.

Q: Who do I call if my child is having difficulty with another student? 

A: If a child is having difficulty with another student, you should contact your child’s school counselor or their grade level administrator.

Q: Who do I call if I have an academic concern about my child? 

A: Reach out to your child’s teacher to discuss any concerns you have about a specific class. If your child is experiencing difficulties in multiple areas or if there are other concerns, reach out to your student’s school counselor or assistant principal.

Q:  How do I set up a meeting with my child’s teacher(s)?

A: Contact the teacher directly or contact your child’s school counselor.

Q: What student and family support services are offered?

A:  See the student services section of the student handbook for information about counseling, health services, library, cafeteria, community support services, and more.

  1. For English Language Learners (ELLs): the ENL Department at each building provides mandated services to students needing this support.

Q: How do I access the school calendar of events? 

A:  Important dates to remember can be found in the student handbook or by clicking here. You can also access Schreiber events in the District calendar.

Q: How do I access the district calendar of events?

A:  You can access the District calendar here.

Q: What clubs/activities are offered to students? 

A: See the clubs and activities section of the student handbook for a list of clubs at Schreiber.  

For English Language Learners (ELLs): each year, the ENL Department offers supplemental programs to support students in their academic and linguistics growth. Teachers will be in contact with ELL parents when these supplemental programs become available.

Q: How do I prepay for meals and find menus?

A:  Port Washington uses My School Bucks to prepay students’ lunch. Click this link for information on food services and to create a My School Bucks account. Menu information is also available on the school website here.

Q: Where do I find the Free & Reduced lunch form? 
A: Click here to access information on free and reduced lunch on the District website.

Q:  Who do I contact if my child is having trouble with my district issued chromebook?

A: Schreiber Tech has Office Hours every day at 8:00 - 8:15 am and 9:00 - 9:15 am at the Tech Storage Closet next to the Commons. Students can ask questions, resolve technical issues (including Synergy StudentVue issues) and have their chromebook repaired.

Please click here for assistance:  Student Tech Support

Q:  Where do I get login information for SYNERGY (Parent/Student Portal)?

A:  Please email [email protected]

Q: How do I change contact information?

A: To change your address, click here for central registration forms  - Student Registration

To change a phone number or email address, contact your child’s grade level administrator.

Q: How do I get help with the processes mentioned if I speak limited English?

A: Schools are equipped to provide translation/interpretation support by using a phone interpreter who can help you communicate with any staff member of the school community. You can ask the school to provide you with interpretation support in your home language at any time.
Q: What is the district's grading and homework policy?
A: To view the district's Grading and Homework policies, please click below: